baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:23:37 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Both AbiWord and Opera work fine as root.
>
> They don't print web pages or formatted text as root.

That's a lpd problem, not a AbiWord/Opera problem.
I don't recommend running lpd on BL3 (although, of
course, you are very welcome to try). I run lpd on
BL2, which is a better all-purpose platform.

Remember BL3 was a downgrade from BL2. BL3 required
at least a 486DX with 8mb RAM. BL3 runs on a 386 or
486SX with 3mb RAM. For Pentium desktops, BL2 is the
better option.

> This is what people want to do on the computers we give
> them, therefore we are forced to put on Windows just to
> print with.

No, you aren't forced to install Windows. You've got
plenty of other options (DSL, VectorLinux, etc.).

> We are setting up early Pentiums for people who cannot
> afford new computers.

Then you probably need something that is idiot-proof.
Obviously BL3 is not a good platform for that.

> newbies might give up after installing passwd.tgz

passwd.tgz is not for newbies. I am definitely not
recommending it for newbies.