baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' 11

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' 11
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:51:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 11:32:39AM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
sindi keesan wrote:
[delete]
lpr already works for 'user' but not 'root'

You could send the data directly to the printer (as wp and the netpbm
scripts do now).

Yes, see my suggested scripts for netpbm's pbmtolj (most deskjet, older laserjet) or pbmtoeps (older Epson). If the printer is supported in DOS it should work in linux. For other printers you still need gs or cups.
HP Deskjet 722 and 820 don't work, Windows only. They are ppa and that part was broken last I knew.

Are you saying that one can print without lpr or cups or gs?

That would be really good news.

I looked over Steven's wp script, and that seems to be the case!

For a dot-matrix printer you don't even need to convert from DOS to unix
format first, just cat file.txt > /dev/lp0 after inserting parport and parport_pc and lp.

[delete]

Lee