baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:09:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

It would be nice to have dialing and X work for 'user'
in the next BL

That's not going to happen. BL3 does not come with a user
account, so there's no point.

It would not take you very long to change the permissions and it would not take up any more space or make it less useful as root. And it would make it much easier to set up BL with Opera and Abiword for people who would otherwise use Windows for internet and wordprocessing (and need to be able to import MS WORD files).

I can try to make a script myself but it won't come out as good. I don't know how to change permissions properly so just changed devices with 777 and you do not need them to be executable, for instance.

the permissions be changed by a script in the passwd.tgz
package before that.

Anybody clever enough to install passwd.tgz and configure
a user account is clever enough to configure the permissions
for that user.

All it takes to install passwd.tgz is to download it, pkg passwd.tgz, and adduser user Enter Enter. It took me a couple of minutes the first time, less the second time. I have been asking for help with the permissions for about a year now. I must be dumb. I will try to make a script for other dummies so that they can print internet pages after installing gs and making a printcap.

This would not be needed if someone could figure out why root cannot print with lpr. It is beyond my abilities. I do not have a working linux where this is possible for comparison.

I will attempt to compile busybox 1.3.0 with uclibc. Maybe
it will fix the mounting errors on two computers that work
okay in DOS.

If the busybox mount in BL3 is inadequate for your purposes,
you should try the fully-featured mount from Slackware 4.0.

These two computers are newer than Slackware 4.0. I might try Slackware 8.1 mount. Busybox 1.1.0 mount did not help.