baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:56:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

I can download vector linux at the library except it is very complicated
to get their O/S to recognize our USB flash drive, and involves going into
WORD and it took the librarian 15 minutes to figure out. A simpler way is
to shut down Windows and restart it with the flash drive inserted but the
librarian at the local branch said that was forbidden (the main branch
told us to do this), so I doubt we would be allowed to boot from the USB
linux floppy boot disk either.

Version 1.8 is 60MB, 5.8 (latest) is 551MB and would not fit on our 500MB drives. Version 3.2 is 64MB and has Opera 6 and gcc 2.95.3 and 'Lynks' and Abiword. I did not find hardware requirements for later versions but 3.2 wanted 166Mhz and 32MB RAM and 435MB hard disk which we have. I might look at it some day if it will download in 30 minutes to a USB flash drive.

Back to another suggestion, using pbmtolj to print formatted text instead
of Abiword/gs/lpr.

I found rtf2ps-1.0.tar.gz to convert Abiword rtf output to ps. It is
based on the Ted wordprocessor, which we had for BL2. Is it still around?
It was very slow and heavily mouse-based.

Appears to also require gs.

The only pstopnm or pstopbm I could find required gs (and probably lots of
fonts).

xdpf has a pdftopbm that works in BL3 if you give it a minimal set of gs
fonts (without gs itself) and a modified configuration file to point at
these fonts.

I need a pstopdf that is not gs-based, or a wordprocessor that outputs ps
or pdf.

Abiword can output html, not just rtf.

I found a PHP script package (a zip file with several .php scripts and a fonts directory including koi8-r and various other fonts), about 100K download, html2pdf, and I could pipe the output to pdftopbm (comes with xpdf and does not require X) and then pbmtolj (or the epson equivalent), to print webpages or Abiword documents on an older deskjet or laserjet printer. Without gs executable.

What do I need to run a PHP script? Not in any of my linux books and I got nowhere with an online search. There is a phpwiki but no wiki article on PHP.

Maybe there is a non-php script.