baslinux - [BL] BL3 as 'user'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 as 'user'
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:34:28 +0000 (UTC)

I downloaded from BL3 add-ons passwd.tgz and pkg'ed it.
adduser user
password (Enter key, twice)

chmod 777 /dev/ttyS1 - makes it rw for user and group

chmod +s rxvt, startx, Xvesa and pppd - gives root SUID privileges to user to run these programs needed for dialing and x.

eznet is already x for user

Inserted slhc and ppp modules as root.

eznet up 0

/usr/sbin/pppd: By default the remote system is required to authenticate itself
(because this system has a default route to the internet)
but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

pppd
-sh: pppd: not found

which pppd (nothing found)

set
PATH='/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:.'

/sbin and /usr/sbin are not listed on the path for user, though they are for root when I type set.

ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd -rwsr-sr-x

I checked pppsetup and the login and password are still there, for 0.
I also have a 1, so cannot just run ppp-on.

I have not tried running pppd without eznet, since it does not seem to be found.

I got this working somehow in BL2, but with xterm not rxvt. BL2 came set up already for 'user'.

Steven, perhaps you could put together a package which makes all the necessary permission changes so 'user' can dial and use X, or add that to passwd.tgz. (Or get lpr working for root?).

I installed BL3.40 on top of a previous version, I think.