baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 02:27:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd

These files are in SW7.1 tcpip1.tgz but not in BL3
- should I add them?

For BL3 you get them from tcpip1.tgz in Slackware 4.0.
I did, and I made a little package with the three files and the three modules http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26/rpc-BL3.tgz even though the modules would not insert for me.

insmod sunrpc (not needed for bzimage.big)

"can't handle sections of type 256"

Which kernel are you using?
Your BL3 .p1 kernel. On a 600MHz computer that might be PIII.

Same for pentium kernel 2.2.26 with BL2.

IIRC the BL2 kernel does not require those modules
(similar to the BL3 big kernel).
I did not try the BL2 kernel.

I am using the .p1 kernel

The p1 kernel from the BL3 site?
Yes, your kernel 2.2.26 from the BL3 site zimage.p1 or the like.

I had 'can't handle sections of type" problems recently
with some other modules, I forget which, that worked with
2.4.31 kernels but not 2.2.26 or 2.2.16.

non-pentium kernels don't boot on two computers due to
memory confusion.

It sounds to me like this could be a hardware issue.
Sound types of hardware need special kernel parameters
(at compile time) to function correctly.

Apparently this has been fixed in the 2.4.31 kernel so I will use that when 2.2.26 fails to insert modules.
The 'big' kernel worked fine.

How do you recommend sharing an internet connection between two or more computers, besides serial telnet? We might get one hooked up via a wireless card some day to broadband (from the neighbor with permission).