baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 23:28:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:12:37PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

Our neighbor is using just a wireless network card to pick up a wireless
signal with no need for this gadget. He has a big collection of pcmcia
linksys cards that probably work only in Windows (unless you jump through
hoops imitating Windows in linux).

Look at it this way. Your neighbor already had a working wired network card, right? But he went out and bought a special wireless networking card to replace it, or something like that.

He got a free wireless PCI card. His computer is open most of the time anyway. His wired card is connected to the other computer.

Had he done what I'm suggesting, he wouldn't have had to open his computer and take out one card to replace it with another. He would
He has two network cards in there now.

simply have bought the travel router, put one end of an ethernet cable into it and the other end into his computer's wired NIC, flipped the switch on the travel router to client mode, plugged in the travel router, and he'd be able to pick up the wireless signal and get his computer on the wireless network. Furthermore, if he wanted to travel

But then no wired connection between his two computers unless he added another wired card.

somewhere and had an older laptop with a working wired NIC, he could
He has no laptops except a broken one we gave him.

unplug the travel router from his home computer, take the travel router along with him, and, by plugging it into the ethernet port on his laptop, be able to get on wireless networks with the laptop while travelling. The travel router is alot more versatile than your traditional wireless card. If prices for this gizmo and a PCI network card were the same (wireless PCI cards can often be gotten cheaper), I'd

I have seen them at ebay for about $5, I think.
If we had to travel we could use Windows on the laptop.

always choose the travel router over the internal PCI card. It does have the down-side of having extra wires and its own separate power plug, but in general its greater flexibility outweighs those in my view.

Here's a pic:
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/9/0,1425,i=94013,00.jpg

Sounds good if you plan to travel with a laptop, but overkill for us.

I think we have two version 4 cards of something that worked with linux up
to version 3.

The thing I described next is not a card. It's a full-size wired + wireless router. Separate piece of hardware like the travel router, and can be used similarly.

You are describing two different gadgets?

What does this gadget look like? Does it pick up a signal and then let
you plug in several wired-network computers into it?

Looks something like this: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00007KDVI.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40411728_.jpg

Since it has both wired and wireless routers integrated into it, and since the Linux code that runs it has been extensively tweaked, there are likely ways to make it act as a client that distributes the wireless signal it picks up out the 4 rj45 jacks on the back of the router. I

That sounds helpful. So it picks up a wireless signal and distributes it to four computers. Does one always need to be on for the others to get the signal? I should read more about this.

don't know from personal experience, but I don't see why, in principle, it couldn't do this.

Will take a look some time when not in BL1 and shell account / pine.

We would prefer not to spend money on this experiment so will try to
network with Win98 and our two pcmcia wireless cards first.

I thought you said you were considering buying a wireless PCI adaptor (you said "I suppose I could pay money for a PCI wireless card."). I was just saying that you should consider spending that money on a more flexible wireless device like the travel router I described.

First we will try to get a free linux-compatible PCMCIA wireless card.

We have several free hubs already. We don't normally travel with a computer (by bike). Just want to pick up the neighbor's signal and distribute it around via wire.

Sorry if I am confused, have not done wireless or routers before.

James