baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:18:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

If I chroot to the other computer, can I use its internet connection?

No.

We have a laptop with Windows and a PCMCIA wireless ethernet
card with Windows drivers.

Is there a Linux driver for it?

David compiled one but the card was not even working in Win98 so eventually I deleted the driver. We have the computer because the BIOS is not working quite right, and it was not working with a modem (linux was) because it was finding too many serial ports. Somehow we got BIOS/modem working and we will try the two cards with Windows and then maybe David would be kind enough to compile the driver again.

Is there some way to connect to the neighbor's broadband service
via the Windows laptop

That's a Windows routing issue. I know nothing about
configuring Windows TCP/IP routing (nor even whether
it is possible).

We have not yet even managed to network with linux and Windows.

and then network with a linux computer and use a linux
browser on the internet?

If the Windows computer gives you a TCP/IP gateway, then
Linux will be able to use it.

I will read about what a gateway is.

I suppose I could pay money for a PCI wireless card.

Or run a floppy Linux (with wireless module) on the
Windows laptop. A Linux router/gateway/IPmask can
be quite small. Everything could fit on a single
floppy.

We have linux on the laptop but not the linux driver.
We can put the pcmcia card into a desktop with pcmcia slot added.

If we get a linux computer working with wireless card, then I will tackle the problem of sharing the connection via ssh or Xterminal etc.