baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 02:23:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

It worked with the big kernel.
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ mnt

That should be: mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ /mnt
Thanks, that is what I actually typed.

Mounted it on /mnt of 192.168.1.2 (computer on right
can how read files from computer on left).

It can also write files (if you put rw in /etc/exports).

Should I be able to mount BL2 from one computer on BL3
of another computer?

Yes, it doesn't matter which version of Linux is running
the NFS server. Or Unix for that matter.

I have not tried yet to run programs from the other computer.

Executing should work (you'll probably need the full path name).

I could either type in the full path name or cd to the directory and type ./program-name. I presume the originating computer has to have any required libraries on the path, or somehow you need to add the path where they are on the other computer.

Can this sort of setup be used to share a dialup connection
the way the serial/telnet network could?

No. All you get from the NFS server is the specified
filesystem.

Why can you run programs but not go online? Is there something additional you need to do to share the internet connection?

do we need a firewall or something?

A firewall (with ip maskerading) is the usual way
of sharing an internet connection (gateway).

How do we set this up? You said telnet was not safe because someone else could also telnet to the online computer.

What do I need to add to my 2.4.31 kernel to avoid using
sunrpc, lockd, and nfs, in case they won't insmod there
either?

CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y

Easy.

Please check if the three modules insert for you with your .p1 kernel for BL3.