baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:27:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Serial terminal (via a DOS or Linux term program).

We did this with telnet

No, this is quite different from telnet. The second
computer is hooked directly into the getty (via the
serial port). It is not TCP/IP. It runs a DOS
terminal program, like telix or commo.

We did this with both telnet and the terminal program methods, a couple of years ago, using a serial nullmodem cable and your instructions and various terminal programs, including kermit and microcom, between DOS or BL2 and BL3. I had to edit a file (the serial mouse stopped working after that, no surprise).

how does Xterminal work and did you try it in BL?

I use it several times a week. BL3 on a 486 laptop with
12mb RAM gets icewm from the desktop (via ethernet) and
runs Firefox (etc.) at excellent speed.

I only want to run links or lynx on both computers at once. We did that via the serial nullmodem cable but don't want to run them all over the house.

Is a 100MHz laptop powerful enough (we have a PCMCIA
wireless card)?

As I said above, if the gateway computer is not the
most powerful system, you probably want to make it
an IP-masking firewall.

How do we set up IP-masking firewall?

I suggest you start with BL1. It was designed for
this purpose (see netsetup in BL1). Floppy version
works fine -- insmod, ifconfig, route, ipfwadm.
Then ppp-on and you will be able to share that
connection with the rest of the TCP/IP network.

For BL3 would we need to insert additional modules or use the larger kernel?

I presume crossover network cable from the wireless-
connected computer to the other computer (or use a
hub if several).

Not just ethernet. Any TCP/IP network can be used
(PLIP, SLIP, whatever).

Same as for your send/receive routine, which I used to use via plip and now use via ethernet.

If we network with a Windows laptop for which we have
the wireless card driver, can we run a linux browser?

The Windows laptop will simply be routing the TCP/IP
traffic. It does not care which operating system was
used to generate the traffic.

If so, how?

I can't tell you how to configure Windows. But once
the Windows computer is functioning as a TCP/IP
gateway (eg 192.168.1.1), you do this on your Linux
computer:
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

BL2 does not have ipfwadm. Do I put BL1 (ramdisk or floppy disk) on both computers or just one?

I will download BL1 and look at netsetup.