baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:06:31 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Serial terminal (via a DOS or Linux term program).
>
> We did this with telnet

No, this is quite different from telnet. The second
computer is hooked directly into the getty (via the
serial port). It is not TCP/IP. It runs a DOS
terminal program, like telix or commo.

> how does Xterminal work and did you try it in BL?

I use it several times a week. BL3 on a 486 laptop with
12mb RAM gets icewm from the desktop (via ethernet) and
runs Firefox (etc.) at excellent speed.

> Is a 100MHz laptop powerful enough (we have a PCMCIA
> wireless card)?

As I said above, if the gateway computer is not the
most powerful system, you probably want to make it
an IP-masking firewall.

> How do we set up IP-masking firewall?

I suggest you start with BL1. It was designed for
this purpose (see netsetup in BL1). Floppy version
works fine -- insmod, ifconfig, route, ipfwadm.
Then ppp-on and you will be able to share that
connection with the rest of the TCP/IP network.

> I presume crossover network cable from the wireless-
> connected computer to the other computer (or use a
> hub if several).

Not just ethernet. Any TCP/IP network can be used
(PLIP, SLIP, whatever).

> If we network with a Windows laptop for which we have
> the wireless card driver, can we run a linux browser?

The Windows laptop will simply be routing the TCP/IP
traffic. It does not care which operating system was
used to generate the traffic.

> If so, how?

I can't tell you how to configure Windows. But once
the Windows computer is functioning as a TCP/IP
gateway (eg 192.168.1.1), you do this on your Linux
computer:
route add default gw 192.168.1.1