baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:34:40 -0500

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:28:33PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> That sounds helpful. So it picks up a wireless signal and distributes it
> to four computers. Does one always need to be on for the others to get
> the signal? I should read more about this.

Think of the WRT54G as a miniature Linux computer dedicated to routing and
NAT'ing. As long as
the WRT54G is powered on, it's doing it's routing/NAT'ing job. Doesn't matter
what other
computers on the LAN are powered on or not. Again, I presume it could perform
such a function,
but I have no personal expereince with it.

> First we will try to get a free linux-compatible PCMCIA wireless card.

Good luck. Wireless NIC's are still a generally sought-after item, so not
many are being
unloaded. Especially PCMCIA ones. Then, the chances that any still-working
unloaded ones are
going to work with Linux are 50-50 at best. Wireless support under Linux,
though continuing to
improve, is still quite spotty. Look for an old Orinoco bronze card, since
they're well
supported, even back into the 2.2.x kernel series, I believe. They don't do
encryption and
only promise 2mbps speeds, but it should work for picking up a nearby signal
for distributing
into your LAN. Even that speed is going to be a heck of alot faster than
dialup.

James