baslinux - Re: [BL] ADSL setup (was Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ADSL setup (was Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus)
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:52:07 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > Step 1: activate NIC (check by looking for eth0 in dmesg)
>
> I insmod the RealTek with netsetup.

Please don't use netsetup for now. We need to go through
this step by step.

Step 1: activate the network card.
--------------
insmod rtl8139
--------------
Is that the right module for your card?
If not, please insmod the right one.

> realtek seems OK - my words.

Please tell me how you know this. Does eth0 appear in dmesg?

> udhcp client (v0.9.8) started
> sending discover...
> sending discover...
> sending discover...

Let's avoid dhcp for now. Use ifconfig to set a static address.

> ifconfig shows the eth0, but with no 192.168.1.n address

So, your ADSL router address is somewhere on the 192.168.1.n
network? I suggest you set a static address on the same
network and try to ping the router. For example:
--------------------------
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.77
ping 192.168.1.n
--------------------------
Replace the n by the actual number in the router address.

> This modem/router is setting dynamic addresses (default, but
> maybe it can be edited).

Don't change that (unless you are absolutely sure what it does).
That setting may be for the router-ISP address, not the local
address (between your computer and the router).

> ping 192.168.1.1 network unreachable

Does that mean the address of the ADSL router is 192.168.1.1?
That address is the key to everything.

> > Step 5: check default route: route
>
> That seems to be OK.

What does it say? Is there a default line?