baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:46:32 +0000 (UTC)

The problem there is that my software all prints to LPT1. I have no way of directing print to a USB printer from DOS. At least, I haven't found one yet. :(

I got USB storage working in DOS (with devices that don't work in BL3). There is a very helpful DOS USB site. Check for USB printing there.

The '2' I think means 'to' here, not lpt2 port. ;=)

That is what I understood as well. What I meant was that although I can access external USB drives, and card readers, from DOS, sending print data to USB is quite a different matter and one that I have yet to find any method for.

The only Windows that I have, or EVER will have, on any computer that I control, is Win3.1 - which sits in a DOS partition anyway. I may eventually add a Win9x image for use with qemu running in BL3, but that is all. It is not that I can't do what you suggest, just that I won't. To me, Windows9x and higher are spawn of the devil !

I have a couple of 1997 modems that I could only upgrade to V90 using programs written for Win9X, otherwise I would only keep it on a laptop.

But I am starting to suspect that the only really long-term option is
for me to transpose my WHOLE BUSINESS into Linux - all 18 years of it.
Oh ! Cheese us !!!

What formats do you print and from what programs? I have been in business
with DOS for 21 years now but I send files, not printout.

I use Professional Write as my word processor, Professional File as my data base, Arachne as my DOS browser, and programs that I wrote myself for the main resource for my work. I use printgf for printing graphics. All those run in pure DOS. I occasionally use Acrobat for Win3.1 where necessary.

You could use gs or xpdf (or pdfimages and pdftext for BL3) in linux instead. I like printgf. It should handle the older HP deskjets.

My output to clients is in both digital format (.HTM and .PDF, also coded ASCII) and printed paper spaced to photocopy onto client company letterheads.
How do you make pdf files in DOS?

But the overwhelming bulk of my work is in the proprietary format of Professional Write. My business started when DOS was king, and everything since has matched what went before. I estimate it would take nearly a year, full-time, to convert all my business files to another format; a year in which I would earn no income and probably lose most clients. In other words, unless I replace this dying DOS printer with another DOS printer, my working life is back to square one. At my age, that would mean retirement.

Fortunately, all is not lost. :)

Sometime today, I am expecting a delivery of a trial laserjet 4000, which I am assured will be a simple plug-in and run for what I need. Fingers crossed.

Check online if it is parallel port and PCL5/6 compatible?

If that fails, you have also given me a whole list of printers for me to search for second-hand. And talking to all my techie contacts, it does seem that laser is the way to go for DOS compatability.

Beware of used laser paper feeders and jams unless you are very handy. It took my very skilled partner a few hours to even find the worn separation pads. He sanded or rejuvenated them again. (They work for a few sheets after that then feed all the sheets at once).

Regards,
Ron