baslinux - Re: [BL] Making a lilo boot floppy disk for DOS/BL3/BL2, was Re: Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Making a lilo boot floppy disk for DOS/BL3/BL2, was Re: Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 03:03:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Maybe Steven would be willing to post lilo, chain.b and
boot.b for BL3.40.

All of those files are already in BL3 (floppy version).
Users of the DOS version can get them from Slackware 4.0.

I did not find chain.b there (in BL3.32).

boot=/dev/fd0 (or boot=/dev/hda to install to hard disk)
prompt (gives you a LILO boot: prompt)

I use "delay=50" instead of "prompt".
I recommend you add "compact".

What does delay=50 do, boot to DOS after 5 sec and give a prompt?

LILO boot:
Nothing happens unless I type something.

That's because you used "prompt"

Thanks. That should give me one perfect lilo boot disk. COuld anything terrible happen if I changed fd0 to hda and installed to the MBR?

I tried to make a similar lilo boot disk on the Compaq computer. First I got a bad 1.44K floppy disk. I DOS formatted a bunch and found 7 with bad track 0 or bad sectors then one good one, and one good 720, both of which I formatted with mke2fs -c to check for bad blocks. (I also checked the 7 bad disk on a another ocmputer and they were just as bad so it is not the floppy drive).

I changed the partition names in lilo.conf to match this computer (/dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4 instead of /dev/hdb3 and /dev/hdb4) after copying lilo, chain.b, boot.b and lilo.conf to ext2 hd BL3. I had stored them all on the boot floppy for the other computer in the same directories as they go in on the hard disk. I did not copy them to the new lilo boot disk - should I?

mke2fs -c /dev/fd0
mount /dev/fd0 /fd

lilo -v - appeared to work perfectly, no complaints about floppy disks not mounting or finding a backup copy of MR already. (After making a bad boot disk I deleted the MBR backup in /boot.)

When I tried to boot with the bad disk (before realizing it had gone bad) or the two known good ones it got as far as LI

and then stopped.

The 2 BL3.32 floppy disks boot with lilo so it is my disk, not the computer, that is having problems. What might I have done wrong?

I did not put in the line about map because it was not needed on the first computer, map got copied to /boot by lilo on both computers.

I tried again with delay=50 instead of default=dos and prompt. Still only LI .

I don't want to install to MBR on hd until the floppy boot disk is working.

Any ideas?