baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:55:02 +0000 (UTC)

I ran across LPT2USB mentioned at www.lvr.com/parport.htm, a gadget that
converts a parallel port to USB output, but my card is cheaper (yours for
the cost of postage, if it will help).

The problem there is that my software all prints to LPT1. I have no way of
directing print to a USB printer from DOS. At least, I haven't found one
yet. :(

The '2' I think means 'to' here, not lpt2 port. ;=)

There is a whole raft of software on the installation CD for Windows9x to XP,
also for Mac.

Do you have to print directly from DOS, or can you, when you need to print, go into Win95? It fits into 50MB (probably less if you know how) in a DOS partition.

I will also investigate setting up a LAN with a print server - maybe a print server can be configured to accept CPL signals and translate it into stuff the printer can perform.

But I am starting to suspect that the only really long-term option is for me to transpose my WHOLE BUSINESS into Linux - all 18 years of it. Oh ! Cheese us !!!

What formats do you print and from what programs? I have been in business with DOS for 21 years now but I send files, not printout.

My HP printers accept PCL5 language and print in DOS. Linux netpbm can print directly to them even in color. (Avoid 722 and 820 ppa printers, the netpbm program did not work for me though he fixed at least one bug).

Cheese us? (I get the 'transpose' reference).

Regards,
Ron