baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:00:45 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:18:51 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > I have (probably unwisely) bought a brand spanking new Epson Stylus
> > C87 colour printer. I bought this particular beast because it was the
> > only make/model that my local computer supplier could find that was able
> > to connect via parallel port, an essential feature for the computer my
> > business runs on.
>
> We keep finding parport printers at the curb, that work. Could have
> mailed you one for whatever you paid for postage on the new one.

Nice thought, but I think you have different voltages in the US.

> > Having got it home, I find that it doesn't run under DOS ! Only
> > Win32 or Mac. Wonderful !!!!! There goes any hope that I can use it for
> > my business, which runs exclusively in DOS.
>
> Try linux CUPS for printing, needed for our C60 and C80 (we gave one to a
> Mac friend instead) It probably has loads of dependencies and requires a
> later glibc to use a precompiled Slackware version.

I could not get it to run properly under Peanut Linux and Slackware 9.1 -
both using cups.

I will be trying to use the new gimp-print: gutenprint, that Steven
suggested. I will be trying it on SW 10.2 that I have installed on my new
machine, when I get the time.

Question: Does running a Windows image under qemu from BL3 allow access to
parallel port or a usb port ?
Or does bochs ?

> > I think I may have just paid good money for an expensive paper
> > weight. :(
>
> I suggest an ad in the local freecycle or Craigslist.

That doesn't apply to Oz. :(

> People are getting rid of non-USB printers.

Maybe in the USA.

> Maybe someone would trade. HP 400, 500 and 600
> series, 880 and something in the 900 series are also DOS.

My wife suggests ebay Australia.

> If you were closer we could mail you something.

Its a kind thought, but I don't think what runs in the USA will run in Oz.
We need 240 volts, 50 cps, and with certified Australian Standard electrical
bits to be legal to use here.

I will keep up the search, but both Epson and HP have told me that
"nobody" makes printers now that will print from DOS. They have been quite
scornful of my questions, and my use of DOS.

Arrogant fundamental orifices !!

Does anybody on the list know of a current printer manufacturer that does
make a DOS-compatible printer ?
What happens in developing countries, where older equipment is still
widely used ?

Regards,
Ron

--