baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:39:14 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:55:02 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> I ran across LPT2USB mentioned at www.lvr.com/parport.htm, a gadget that
> >> converts a parallel port to USB output, but my card is cheaper (yours for
> >> the cost of postage, if it will help).
> >
> > The problem there is that my software all prints to LPT1. I have no way
> > of directing print to a USB printer from DOS. At least, I haven't found
> > one yet. :(
>
> The '2' I think means 'to' here, not lpt2 port. ;=)

That is what I understood as well. What I meant was that although I can
access external USB drives, and card readers, from DOS, sending print data to
USB is quite a different matter and one that I have yet to find any method
for.

> >There is a whole raft of software on the installation CD for Windows9x to
> >XP, also for Mac.
>
> Do you have to print directly from DOS, or can you, when you need to
> print, go into Win95? It fits into 50MB (probably less if you
> know how) in a DOS partition.

The only Windows that I have, or EVER will have, on any computer that I
control, is Win3.1 - which sits in a DOS partition anyway. I may eventually
add a Win9x image for use with qemu running in BL3, but that is all. It is
not that I can't do what you suggest, just that I won't. To me, Windows9x
and higher are spawn of the devil !

> > But I am starting to suspect that the only really long-term option is
> > for me to transpose my WHOLE BUSINESS into Linux - all 18 years of it.
> > Oh ! Cheese us !!!
>
> What formats do you print and from what programs? I have been in business
> with DOS for 21 years now but I send files, not printout.

I use Professional Write as my word processor, Professional File as my
data base, Arachne as my DOS browser, and programs that I wrote myself for
the main resource for my work. I use printgf for printing graphics. All those
run in pure DOS. I occasionally use Acrobat for Win3.1 where necessary.

My output to clients is in both digital format (.HTM and .PDF, also coded
ASCII) and printed paper spaced to photocopy onto client company letterheads.

But the overwhelming bulk of my work is in the proprietary format of
Professional Write. My business started when DOS was king, and everything
since has matched what went before. I estimate it would take nearly a year,
full-time, to convert all my business files to another format; a year in
which I would earn no income and probably lose most clients. In other words,
unless I replace this dying DOS printer with another DOS printer, my working
life is back to square one. At my age, that would mean retirement.

Fortunately, all is not lost. :)

Sometime today, I am expecting a delivery of a trial laserjet 4000, which
I am assured will be a simple plug-in and run for what I need. Fingers
crossed.

If that fails, you have also given me a whole list of printers for me to
search for second-hand. And talking to all my techie contacts, it does seem
that laser is the way to go for DOS compatability.

> Cheese us? (I get the 'transpose' reference).

:)

Us heathens try to avoid obvious "blasphemies", so as not to offend the
sensitive.

Regards,
Ron

--