baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:31:06 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:16:16 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Have you considered adding a USB card (PCI) to your computer and buying a
> USB printer that is easier to set up in linux?

I already have USB ports on both computers. And the Epson Stylus C87 will
connect with both parallel and USB cables.

> I have not succeeded in printing to USB, has anyone on the list?

No.

> I ran across LPT2USB mentioned at www.lvr.com/parport.htm, a gadget that
> converts a parallel port to USB output, but my card is cheaper (yours for
> the cost of postage, if it will help).

The problem there is that my software all prints to LPT1. I have no way of
directing print to a USB printer from DOS. At least, I haven't found one
yet. :(

> Win98 wastes about 200MB of hard disk. Is there a Win95 driver for your
> Epson printer?

Yes. There is a whole raft of software on the installation CD for
Windows9x to XP, also for Mac.

I will also investigate setting up a LAN with a print server - maybe a
print server can be configured to accept CPL signals and translate it into
stuff the printer can perform.

But I am starting to suspect that the only really long-term option is for
me to transpose my WHOLE BUSINESS into Linux - all 18 years of it. Oh !
Cheese us !!!

Regards,
Ron

--