baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:32:56 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.intelligentinterfaces.com/compatible.htm

A very long tabular list of HP printers showing which ones use PCL3 or PCL5/6 (these work in DOS for me), which ones are USB only, ones to avoid (ppa printers - 71X, 72X, 82X, 1000 - I had 720 and 822 models).

Deskjets

PCL3 - 3XX 4XX 5XX 6XX (not sure about the 656C which seems to be USB)
83X 84X (except the 845C) 85X 87X 88X (I have a nice 880C that works in DOS and linux and prints photos directly from netpbm), 9XX (I have a good 990) (995 is USB only) P1000 11XX 1700 P1100 1220 2000C 2230 3520 3550 3600 3820 9300

PCL5/6 - these work perfectly for me in DOS and linux (I have an Ljet 3 eumulating Okidata, Ljet 6, also Ljet II plus not on this list, and Ljet 1100):

Laserjet 3, 4 5 6 are listed as PCL 5/6
1200C 1600C 2250 2280 2600 2500C (NOT the C+)

USB only - 3320 3420 3425 6127

This is not a complete list. They left out laserjet II series which works fine at 300 dpi and has an indestructible paper feeder - beware of worn out sheet feeders in the ljet 6 and 1100 and related, which were eventually reformulated but cost $30 for new parts. Worn separation pads mean they feed all the paper at once. You can't print double-sided on laser printers without messing up the fuser then it jams.

I checked ebay Australia for HP deskjets and found 656C which seems to be USB (maybe also parport?) and is 'cheap' and also 'discontinued', for $5.
I also found for $5 845C which is USB (maybe also parport). (This might be the starting bid). These both print 600x600 dpi, which you need to print a clear copy of something scanned at 200 dpi (the idiotic default for 'pdf machines'). 500 series and my 600 series print only 300 dpi.

I also found 930C $34 and 935C. Do you need to print in color? Photos?
I find it cheaper to print photos on a machine at the store (it costs less than the paper and ink and looks better).

My 500 and 600 series deskjets tend to have worn out paper feeds and will sometimes print one page across two or three pages. Cleaning something in them helps (I forget what). The 880 had a jam, easily fixed, and feeds paper fine as does the 990 and a wide-carriage model (1220?).

To print in linux with cat you will need to press the paper feed button after sending the file. DOS I don't think needs this.

The genuine 500 and 560C have hardware control of font sizes etc, ideal for printing in DOS with a text editor (no need to send printer commands).

Dot-matrix printers are fine for text. For $7 I got a lifetime supply of ink to reink ribbons. The paper feeds always work and the paper used to be free (thrown out all over the place).

Be sure to test paper feeds before buying used inkjet or laserjet (which sell for about $30 around here with bad paper feeds).

This info was also useful for me.

The C80 Epson Stylus series was rated the best linux color injet for photos so don't give up on it yet. linuxprinting.org suggests gutenprint not CUPS for it. We have two C60s (from the curb and a dumpster).