baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 games for children

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 games for children
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:16:50 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, netscape-type plugins such as flash require motif or lesstif.
slakware/x1/lesstif.tgz should work.

It is 2.5MB and includes header files for compiling. What libraries are
actually needed for flash to work?

The SW71 lesstif.tgz package includes a large number of files ending in .h (headers) and a few in .a and .la needed only for compiling, also a few binaries one of which is mwm motif window manager (do we need the others?) and a bunch of man and doc files.

There are Motif 1.2 and 2.0 libraries, two each, totalling about 1.3M for each version, which I packaged (along with README and INSTALL) as
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/lesstif-libs-SW71.tgz (under 1MB)
in case other people want to try this smaller package.

Do we need Motif 1.2 and 2.0 or just the later one of these?

Unpackage in /usr/X11R6/LessTif

After unpackaging these four libraries and renaming the flash .so and .xpt files (taking off .bak) I started opera and went to Preferences Plug-Ins and it now lists flash as the second plug-in (it may have found it last time when I told it to do Find New). Maybe I should have restarted opera instead of telling it to Find New.

If I rename the two Motif directories I can still start Opera and Flash is still listed as a plugin so I don't think I Motif for Opera 7.

Disneychannel now says i need a later version of Flash (this is the latest linux version, 7) instead of saying I don't have Flash.

www.shockwave.com has kids' flash games. I keep getting popups telling me that the game will start shortly, then nothing else happens.

pbskids.org explains that shockwave and flash are two separate programs.
They suggest turning on sound.

I need to get my mouse working.

Can anyone suggest a good site for kids' games that does not need Flash or Shockwave?