baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 games for children

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 games for children
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 18:20:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

There are a lot of games online that require Shockwave Flash.
Steven, how did you install it, please give details.

Please note: SW Flash does not work on libc5 X libraries.
It does not work on BL3 (unless you upgrade the X libraries).

Perhaps this is why it complained about libc being older than 2.2?

IIRC it prefers glibc 2.3.

Steven said he used SW9.0 glibc. Does it refuse to work with glibc 2.2.5?

For the kids' computer I could download the solibs but I don't want to do that for mine because I would also need the full glibc (to compile) and it is larger and then won't fit as well on a laptop if I use programs I compiled.

Maybe I will try SW Flash in BL2 first - after copying the two files to
the plugins directory, what else would I need to do in Opera?
Do I need some motif library? I have Opera 7.23.

Yes, netscape-type plugins such as flash require motif or lesstif.
slakware/x1/lesstif.tgz should work.

I think Steven said it need a library or two from this package.

Does Flash play movies with sounds?

Yes, the flash plugin plays to /dev/dsp.

I will put in a Crystal sound card that works with mad16 and ad1848 and has a vol control dial. And give them headphones. They already have two TVs and a stereo running in a one-room apartment.

Would I just install the sound
modules and an sb card and Flash?

And X or Xvesa on BL2.

I have Xvesa working in BL2.

We were going to try it on the one BL2 computer with opera 8 but it just finished dying and the drives are being transplanted now to one with no known problems -- a niece got a new Mac.

I think Opera 7 requires you to type something into Preferences to use realudio plugins- file endings, etc. And the name of the program to use.

Do I need to do any of this for SW Flash in Opera 7? I have only one .so library and one .xpt file and no program.

David