baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X2 or K56flex modems as v34 or v90 at reduced speeds

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X2 or K56flex modems as v34 or v90 at reduced speeds
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:41:15 +0000 (UTC)

An external modem (both com ports enabled) works except that it is a
Cardinal Connecta X2 modem flashed in 1997, with no v90, and it dials and
tries to connect and hangs up because nobody supports X2.

Even with AT&N16&U14 this modem would not connect at all so we recycled it. We have other external 33K modems.

I found www.panix.com/help/modem/throttle.html which explains how to set
this modem with AT&F&N16&U14 to max 33.6K v.34 and min 28.8K, non X2.
N = max speed U = min speed. You need to set U or it will connect only
at the N speed (which might fail).

They have settings for USR v90/x2 to ignore the X2 and use v.34 or v.90,
which include the above but go to 57,333. You can set max and min connect
speeds to use. Lower N if you have frequent pauses for throttling (20 sec
wait for the keyboard to work again, which I get on a Best Data that can't
really support 56K). &N27 is 41,333, 34 is 50,666, etc.

USR modems can be told to use V90 and not X2 with s32=34, or to use
niether but run at only up to 33.6K with S32=98, or 28.8K with S32=114.
(I think this tells them to use some other protocol with those speed
limits - v.34 and ?).

I tried AT&F1&n16&U14 and also AT&F1S32=98 (to give min/max speed, or to disable v90 and x2) on a USR Robotics Megahertz 33K PCMCIA modem (with dead ethernet portion) and it would not dial at all. AT&F1 worked (at 33.6K connect - eznet log gave a line about speeds of 33.6K and 31.2K).

Perhaps PCMCIA modems don't accept all the usual USR init commands.

Rockwell chips (used in V90/K56flex modems made by BestData, Zoom,
Xircom, Diamond Supra, Cardinal, Practical Peripherals and Hayes before it
went bankrupt):

AT&F+MS=12 (v90) or =56 (Kflex)

Our Kflex modem does not do V90 so +MS=12 did not help.

www.modemsite.com was more helpful and said +MS=11,,minspeed,maxspeed

at+ms=? shows all possible values, at+ms? the current settings

I modified the output, which had a longer string of numbers, to lower the min and max connect speeds, but our Diamond Supra PC Card K56 Faxmodem would not even try to dial.

(AT+MS=11,1,300,57600,300,300,57600 or something like that)

It dials and eventually connects with no added '0 init1' init string but disconnects in 30 sec.

Then I tried (from panix site, which does not always agree with modemsite)

AT&FW2+MS=11,,28000,33600

This fixed it to disable v90 and x2 with +MS=11, and then also specified
min and max connection speeds. (eznet log still tells me 115200 despite the W2, which has worked with Rockwell modems).

It connected at apparent speed of 33.6K, judging from download speed at Adobe of up to 3.6K/sec. (Windows downloads are slower). Adobe Reader for Linux 'requires' 128MB RAM, Redhat or SuSE, and and Mozilla/Firefox or Netscape. pdftoppm requires linux and RAM depending on file size.

I have posted this info for other users of Cardinal 56K X2 external and Diamond Supra PC Card K56 Faxmodems who want to use them at 33K instead of throwing them out.