baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 00:03:37 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, if it turns out that SW4.0 X_SVGA and X_S3 server do not work properly for you on any TrioXX card with BL3 and Opera, could you compile X_S3 from the SW71 or later source code, to work with libc5/BL3? BL2 X_SVGA was hopeless with my S3 card (barcode instead of text). S3 is a very common video card.

SW71 X_S3 worked in BL2.

Today we finished setting up the Gateway with Trident, Xvesa, and BL3 and Opera, and an external Supra modem. New out of the box, had to use a 25 to 9 pin adaptor to the serial port which did not give a very good connection and the power supply fell apart while I was unplugging it.

I showed our friend how to use Win98 with Opera, and BL3 with the same Opera, also links graphical, links nongraphical, and lynx. She uses hotmail and it only worked with Opera. I showed her 'wp' and 'sc' and offered Abiword but not interested. No need to view images. Don't want a digital camera. No games. This is typical, people only want to do email at home.

She chose BL3 with Opera. It boots much faster and does not crash.
I made 'x' and 'h' for startx and hangup. She has diabetic carpal tunnel syndrome and linux was easier on her wrists than Windows.

Linux was running on a much slower 170MB drive (set as slave) and Win98 on the 700MB faster drive but linux still won.

We removed the external modem and put in a USR 28.8K.

Her partner will use the Windows part for spreadsheets (unless he wants to learn sc) and wordprocessing (or I can show them how to copy an .rtf file to Windows for later printing, or install gs and hope they don't have a Windows-only printer). She is not interested in sound but I put in an SB16.