baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 08:44:31 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> In BL3 on the DFI S3 Trio32 does not work with Xvesa
> but it does work with X_SVGA.

I'm not sure that the SVGA Xserver is right for that card.
I would use the S3 Xserver.

> I tried a Trident PCI card with X_SVGA and it appeared to
> work until I loaded Opera. The opening window and the F2 window
> and the top menu are all black instead of grey background, with
> black text.

What color-depth are you using?

> Two more Trident cards and one Trio32 card have the same problem.

In addition to color-depth, there are several other
settings in XF86Config that might be important. Every
time you change VDU and/or video card, changes may be
necessary in XF86Config. Getting the perfect setting
for an Xserver is notoriously difficult.

> The first Trident card works with Xvesa on this computer

Using Xvesa is much simpler than trying to configure an Xserver.

> Avoid X_SVGA on older cards if possible,

I don't think you can draw that conclusion. I've had
no problem with X_SVGA on older cards (Cirrus, Trident).
Yes, configuration can be difficult, but X_SVGA does
work on old hardware.