baslinux - [BL] mousekeys with xmodmap, was Re: XKB not supported

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] mousekeys with xmodmap, was Re: XKB not supported
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 05:01:31 +0000 (UTC)

Is there some way other than using accessx to change the meanings of various keyboard keys to be mouse movements, such as editing xmodmap's argument, which I did to produce an 84-key keyboard? Of course if I use the arrow keys on such a keyboard for mouse movements I won't have any other arrow keys, but two people we are supporting use the wider keyboard. One has poor aim, the other diabetic (type I) carpal tunnel syndrome so bad she has been sent home for two months and told to find a new career that does not involve typing, and the keyboard is supposed to be less damaging than the mouse for that because you don't need to grip it and can move your arm more and your hand less.

accessx appears to change the keyboard mapping but I have not figured out the details.

I should try adding accessx to SW10.2 .

Our only computer with full xlib.tgz has the Rage 3D card that does Xvesa but not any other X. I tried with mach64 and xsvga. Another Rage card (rage128) was supposed to work with X-SVGA but, like the S3 Trio cards, it produces bar code instead of text. The mach64 server did not work, and Xvesa produces an error message about ROM. svgalib works with both cards (VESA and mach64). xfbdev works with at least one.

The Trio3D card works with X_SVGA but only at 320 resolution. We don't have any other extra video cards that do framebuffer and a non-Xvesa X. Xvesa seems to work better with most newer cards than the other X servers.

If anyone has the time to check out my package accessxkb.tgz on some card working with the SVGA or S3 server I would appreciate it.