baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:45:32 +0000 (UTC)

X_S3 for SW4.0 does not work in Opera (black on black text) with S3 Trio64 (or Trio32), and X_SVGA server has the same problem with Trio32 or Trident cards, in two computers, with BL3. In one of these computers (DFI) rxvt and icewm display barcode instead of text with BL2 X_SVGA but not with BL3 X_SVGA, but Opera is not usable with X_SVGA.

Xvesa works in one of these computers (Gateway) with the Trident card (and probably also the S3 cards). Xvesa works in the other computer ((DFI) only if you bypass startup files. Xvesa has no problems with Opera.

BL3 X-Vesa does not work on our laptops. X_SVGA does, with modified dot-clocks.

To use Opera on the DFI the choices are to bypass startup files and use Xvesa (or if you don't need DOS have no startup files, or use lilo), or use BL2, or upgrade all the X libraries and icewm and don't use MagicPoint.

Trident cards work fine in Win98. The Gateway works fine with a normal modem in DOS and linux. In Win98 it keeps thinking Com1 is Com2 and vice versa and no modem works including 2 winmodems. We are about to force our friends to go online with Linux, but let them use Excel on the other drive. Their drive won't boot Windows anyway, we had to replace it but it will do linux from loadlin. (The 'computer' was given to them and would not go on. It smoked. We replaced motherboard, power supply, video sound modem and hard drive, but the Gateway floppy and CD-ROM drives and RAM are okay). Opera is now working okay in BL3 with Xvesa and Trident card.
On a 170MB drive, boots much faster than WIn98 from a faster drive.

They are interested in photo editing and spreadsheet. I put on sc and xv and netpbm. Also in sound, but I am not getting into that yet on this slow drive.