baslinux - [BL] Using X2 or K56flex modems as v34 or v90 at reduced speeds

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Using X2 or K56flex modems as v34 or v90 at reduced speeds
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:48:55 +0000 (UTC)

The Gateway works fine with a normal
modem in DOS and linux. In Win98 it keeps thinking Com1 is Com2 and vice
versa and no modem works including 2 winmodems.

This computer has Windows and linux. We tried to put in a PCI Winmodem and an ISA normal modem but Windows would not work with either PCI or the 28.8 or 33.3K ISA modem. They all 'failed to respond'. The latter worked in DOS and linux. Win98 detected Com1 when we disabled Com1 and enabled Com2, and put modems on Com3 and Com4 with odd IRQs.

Windows 98SE worked with an AT&T 28.8K jumpered to PnP, with the modem at IRQ 5, but DOS does not, and I don't want to figure out how to set it with isapnp in linux. It works very nicely in linux set to 'manual' not pnp.

An external modem (both com ports enabled) works except that it is a Cardinal Connecta X2 modem flashed in 1997, with no v90, and it dials and tries to connect and hangs up because nobody supports X2.

I found www.panix.com/help/odem/throttle.html which explains how to set this modem with AT&F&N16&U14 to max 33.6K v.34 and min 28.8K, non X2.
N = max speed U = min speed. You need to set U or it will connect only at the N speed (which might fail).

They have settings for USR v90/x2 to ignore the X2 and use v.34 or v.90, which include the above but go to 57,333. You can set max and min connect speeds to use. Lower N if you have frequent pauses for throttling (20 sec wait for the keyboard to work again, which I get on a Best Data that can't really support 56K). &N27 is 41,333, 34 is 50,666, etc.

USR modems can be told to use V90 and not X2 with s32=34, or to use niether but run at only up to 33.6K with S32=98, or 28.8K with S32=114.
(I think this tells them to use some other protocol with those speed limits - v.34 and ?).

Rockwell chips (used in V90/K56flex modems made by BestData, Zoom, Xircom, Diamond Supra, Cardinal, Practical Peripherals and Hayes before it went bankrupt):

AT&F+MS=12 (v90) or =56 (Kflex)

These modems will connect faster if they don't try Kflex first.
Same for USR not trying X2. In 1997 it got simplified to only v.90.

There are rumors of a V.90 upgrade for cardinal external modems but all the hits I got were people who were requesting or had lost theirs. Cardinal got bought by Hayes which went bankrupt.

We have a 56K Kflex PCMCIA modem which we can try to set not to use Kflex. It also does not complete a connection. From a Mac - they use the same PCMCIA modems. We have used USR external 'Mac' modems with PCs too.