baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:12:59 +0000 (UTC)

Avoid X_SVGA on older cards if possible,

I don't think you can draw that conclusion. I've had
no problem with X_SVGA on older cards (Cirrus, Trident).
Yes, configuration can be difficult, but X_SVGA does
work on old hardware.

It looked like Trident was working with X_SVGA, and S3 Trio32 and Trio64
with X_S3 until I loaded Opera. Can you try this combination in BL3?
Let me know how to change the settings to avoid black background in the
initial opera screen, top menu, and F2 URL-window. Do I need to change
rgb.txt somehow? Use xterm instead of rxvt?

I tried three Trident cards, two Trio32 and one Trio64, in two computers
(one computer per card).

I have the Matrox card working with Xvesa. I can try it with X_SVGA and
Opera as a test. Opera/X_SVGA works with the chips and technologies chips
on three laptops, and with an ATI RAGE AGP card, and with Xvesa in two
other desktop computers with Trio64.

The Matrox Millenium with 2MB RAM (and two video outputs) works fine with Xvesa and with X_SVGA, the latter with Opera in correct colors.

The Trident and Trio32 cards are circa 1994, the Trio64 maybe 1995 (we have several, I did not check which it was).