baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:57:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 19 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

In BL3 on the DFI S3 Trio32 does not work with Xvesa
but it does work with X_SVGA.

I'm not sure that the SVGA Xserver is right for that card.
I would use the S3 Xserver.

That does not work correctly either. Opera is black on black.
X_SVGA worked apart from that in BL3 but was useless in BL2 due to text turning into 'barcode' vertical stripes or disappearing from rxvt and icewm.

I tried a Trident PCI card with X_SVGA and it appeared to
work until I loaded Opera. The opening window and the F2 window
and the top menu are all black instead of grey background, with
black text.

What color-depth are you using?

15-bit. I have the Trident working now with Xvesa on the Gateway. Should I try the S3 Trio64 with X_S3 and 8-bit color in the DFI, where Xvesa is messed up by himem.sys? I really don't need to run Opera on that desktop in BL3, and it works fine with X_SVGA on all our laptops in BL3, but I will test if it helps others.

Two more Trident cards and one Trio32 card have the same problem.

In addition to color-depth, there are several other
settings in XF86Config that might be important. Every
time you change VDU and/or video card, changes may be
necessary in XF86Config. Getting the perfect setting
for an Xserver is notoriously difficult.

The first Trident card works with Xvesa on this computer

Using Xvesa is much simpler than trying to configure an Xserver.

Avoid X_SVGA on older cards if possible,

I don't think you can draw that conclusion. I've had
no problem with X_SVGA on older cards (Cirrus, Trident).
Yes, configuration can be difficult, but X_SVGA does
work on old hardware.

It looked like Trident was working with X_SVGA, and S3 Trio32 and Trio64 with X_S3 until I loaded Opera. Can you try this combination in BL3?
Let me know how to change the settings to avoid black background in the initial opera screen, top menu, and F2 URL-window. Do I need to change rgb.txt somehow? Use xterm instead of rxvt?

I tried three Trident cards, two Trio32 and one Trio64, in two computers (one computer per card).

I have the Matrox card working with Xvesa. I can try it with X_SVGA and Opera as a test. Opera/X_SVGA works with the chips and technologies chips on three laptops, and with an ATI RAGE AGP card, and with Xvesa in two other desktop computers with Trio64.