baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 02:36:31 +0000 (UTC)

Since xpdf is statically compiled and should only need
libX11.so.6,

That doesn't make sense. If xpdf is statically compiled,
it has no dependencies. BTW, the version of xpdf that I
am using is not statically compiled.

xpdf 3.1 at the foolabs site is statically compiled against libc2.2
ELF

I backed that up and copied over the libX11.so.6.1 from
BL2 (SW7.1) and could not run X at all. startx - three
segmentation faults.

That's what I said (several times). If you put X libraries
from a later Slackware into BL3, it kills the BL3 X binaries
(including startx).

Is there any way to use xpdf 3.1 precompiled with a different libX11.so.6.1 from all the other programs in BL3.40? I think I did something of the sort when starting netpbm in BL2, compiled for BL3, where there were two versions of libpng or something, libc6 and libc5, and I had to point it at libc5. And start xpdf straight from Xvesa without icewm or xinit (which use libc X libraries)?

Please try to get xpdf working, Steven.

I've just installed the xpdf.tgz package from Slackware 4.0.
It needed libstdc++, so I installed elflibs.tgz. It also
needed more fonts, so I installed xftnts.tgz. Everything
was from Slackware 4.0. xpdf worked fine on old pdfs, but
it couldn't display the newer, fancier pdfs.

I don't have a choice of what format people choose to send me or post online. I would need the latest xpdf 3.1 (3.0 is okay too).