baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:01:59 +0000 (UTC)

Does linuxpackages.net have things compiled for Slackware 9.0
that it does not have for 8.1.

Yes.
What in particular would you recommend. WHen I have looked for a few things they exited for 10.2 or even 10.1 but not 9.0.

Can I put back 2.2.5 from SW8.1 by simply doing a send/receive
from the computer that was not upgraded, then deleting anything
with 2.3.2 or 2.3.5 from /lib?

That's not what I would do. If you want the glibc from
Slackware 8.1 (glibc 2.2.5), then you should install the
solibs package. However, I recommend using the glibc from
Slackware 9.0 (glibc 2.3.2).

I did install the solibs and then the full SW81 glibc, then I installed the SW9.1 solibs package and then 10.2 glibc solibs which means I cannot compile on that computer unless I match the full glibc to the solibs glibc. At least not easily. So I either downgrade solibs or upgrade glibc in order to compile on that computer.

I do not want to download the 9.0 glibc compiling package and I already proved that it makes a complete mess if you upgrade solibs but not the regular glibc, and that it is not easy to downgrade again. I have been compiling with 2.2.5, but I have enough RAM to run 2.4.31, which I need anyway for USB camera and stick, and that will let me use more precompiled programs.

But the later libraries won't let me use your static (uclibc?) sqlite or abiword (have not tried ssh or other things yet). So 2.2.5 has its advantages (I have it on CD already).