baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 02:03:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 12 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I've tried a newer libXm and that did not fix it.
In fact I'm not sure that libXm is the problem.
It is more likely that libX11R6.so.6 is the issue,
but that is not an easy upgrade (since so many other
things depend on it). I'll have a play with this
today and see if I can find a (relatively) simple
fix.

There's no easy fix. The only way I could get SWflash
to work was by doing a complete upgrade of the X libraries.
However, that killed all the libc5 X binaries, including
xinit (startx). So anybody wanting SWflash on BL3 needs
to upgrade both the X libraries and the X binaries (in
addition to the glibc2 upgrade from Slackware 9.0).
That's a major hassle.

I'm not going to worry about this. Since Opera itself
runs quite happily of the old X libraries, I'm happy.
Besides, most SWflash routines are huge resource hogs
and not suitable for old PCs.

Might you some day put together a non-floppy-disk BL based on Slackware 9.0 and uclibc libraries? Or kernel 2.4 and later libraries than SW 9.1 so as to support USB storage?

Has anyone who upgraded to SW10.2 or 9.1 glibc tried other static programs than sqlite and abiword, such as ssh? Is there some way to compile them so they will work with post 9.0 libc?

The person sending me a WORD file is not willing to send even RTF instead so as to preserve the column formatting. Are there linux free wordprocessors that fit in less than 1G and import WORD with formatting? (Not that I would want to spend a week downloading one).

Microsoft is for idiots.