baslinux - Re: [BL] naim built was: naim compiling

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] naim built was: naim compiling
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:56:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

ldd naim - no such file or directory (which I think means it uses some
dynamic library not on my path).
I meant, this probably indicates that it wants the uclibc glibc, or that it was compiled dynamically.

strings naim | grep "/ld-" | head -n 1

This will show you which library it is looking for but could not find
(hence "no such file or directory").

Could people use the dynamic version by simply copying over all the
libraries from /uclibc/lib to /lib? 864K.

They would need to upgrade their kernels too. I think it's a little
too complicated for someone who just wants to install and run naim.

What kernel do you need to use uclibc dynamically, 2.4.31? I think I could use my busybox with your 1-floppy linux.

Then the uclibc programs could
all be compiled dynamically (mplayer,

Maybe. Static uClibc mplayer does not work properly (remember how it
would not play any audio?) but that could be due to it being static.

busybox,

It's nice to be able to remove all libraries and still have a working system.

again the last visible gcc command that make executes (but with
"-static" appended)? If not, that's OK - I am finished with my Debian
experiment and will probably have my uClibc root working again by
tomorrow.

I finally built, tested, (on 3.40) and uploaded it. James, please test
the new AIM code and report if it works or not.

Well, at least I did James the favor of getting the ball rolling. I think James will enjoy testing this out tomorrow evening (after an important event during the daytime which he can tell us about himself if he wants).

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/naim.tgz

I tried but it is a 3-line command and it could not find naimS.

gcc -g -O2 naim ./libs/naimS.o ( and a long list of other files in .o all
in ./src) -Wl, --export-dynamic ../libfiretalk/libfiretalk.a (and two
others in .a) -lncurses "-static" (I added the static).

Gcc may have deleted temporary files (there is a switch not to do that for
gcc). naimS.o is not there, the others are.

make deleted it. I worked around this by wrapping gcc with a shell
script to force static compiling (see previous message).

Is there any way to just make a single program compile statically instead of writing shell scripts to compile them all statically?

There is a way to tell make (or gcc) not to delete temporary files.