baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:17:39 +1200

> I've tried a newer libXm and that did not fix it.
> In fact I'm not sure that libXm is the problem.
> It is more likely that libX11R6.so.6 is the issue,
> but that is not an easy upgrade (since so many other
> things depend on it). I'll have a play with this
> today and see if I can find a (relatively) simple
> fix.

There's no easy fix. The only way I could get SWflash
to work was by doing a complete upgrade of the X libraries.
However, that killed all the libc5 X binaries, including
xinit (startx). So anybody wanting SWflash on BL3 needs
to upgrade both the X libraries and the X binaries (in
addition to the glibc2 upgrade from Slackware 9.0).
That's a major hassle.

I'm not going to worry about this. Since Opera itself
runs quite happily of the old X libraries, I'm happy.
Besides, most SWflash routines are huge resource hogs
and not suitable for old PCs.