baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.4 on-line for the first time
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 23:46:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 9 May 2006 03:29:49 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

Just to say that I have, for the first time, got on-line with BL3.4 HD
installation.

It has taken a while: I had to copy some of the cxxnnnn libs into a
different x/lib directory so that wvdial worked.

Welcome, but why are you using wvdial and cxx libs instead of Steven's
little setup with ppp-on and eznet/pppd for dialing?

Because my ISP has an unusual dial-up/log-in setup that eznet doesn't cope
with. :(
This ISP requires ppp to run BEFORE the user/pass dialogue, a system that the wvdial
documentation describes as "stupid mode" and has a configuration switch to
deal with it.

I had some correspondance on the BL list some time ago when the ISP
introduced this and I suddenly found myself unable to log-on with BL,
although Arachne (bless her !) took it in her stride. And David Moberg
pointed me in the direction of wvdial. And the rest, as they say, is hysteria
! :)

On another matter (BL3.4), I tried to install a flash-player to the shiny
new Opera in BL3.4, but it comlained that my glibc is too old.
The SW9.0 glibc is 14 MB ! but that is not really a problem on this
machine. My question is more about compatability. On one previous occasion
I tried to upgrade libraries on BL2 and it made a complete mess of that
installation that took over a week to recover from, and I have been a bit
gun-shy since.

I think you can safely delete /usr/lib/gconv (something to do with non English character sets?) and anything ending in .a or .la (used for static compiling) to save a lot of space, but you would still need to downoad the large package unless Steven or someone wants to post just the 2.3.1
libraries in /lib and maybe /usr/libexec/pt_chown (if it is like SW10.2 libc). My /lib/*2.3.5* is about 2.3MB, most of which is libc and libm and libnsl.

There is a 1999 ld.so - what does this do?

Is there ANY possibility that installing the SW9.0 glibc libraries (not the glibc-solibs which are running well) could farkle BL3.4 ?

What does farkle mean in dictionary English?

Can you copy your entire setup to a spare partition before experimenting on it?

We found a taker (with a Mac) for the printer than needed gimp-print (and therefore glibc 2.3.5 from SW10.2) so I would be interested in downgrading to SW9.0 too.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke