baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: Paul Makinen <pmakinen_20712 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:18:12 -0500

At 10:44 PM 4/27/2006, you wrote:
sindi keesan wrote:

> >> Does
> >> anyone want to try running IRAF from BL and letting him know how they did
> >> it? He is most familiar with FreeBSD and Slackware is more similar than
> >> Redhat to it.
> >
> > I am downloading it now for testing.
>
> Thanks, I hope you have broadband. Let us know what bits and pieces need
> to be added to run IRAF 2 in BL3.40 (under qemu in XP). Eventually he
> ought to install BL directly to his laptop instead, in 4GB.

I downloaded and unpacked it, but I don't know how to make it work.

Thanks for trying...

As it turns out, FITS is not what I would call "turnkey software"...I installed the Cygwin version on my desktop, and then I had to run the IRAF sham install routine ./install -n about six times before I got it right... The worst of the problems is that the directory structure used by the install routine is different from that advertised in the install documentation....and you have to make some intelligent guesses as to where the DS9 FITS display package should go...

Anyway, I did eventually get it up and running, but unfortunately, the specific piece of layered software I need to kick off the analysis process (one of the STECF routines) refuses to compile under Cygwin...but there are fedora, suse, and hpux binaries. And, as it turns out, 99 dollars will buy a version of everything compiled under Cygwin

For a package that is this large and complex, wouldn't it be better to
start with a large distribution and gradually remove unnecessary
packages from the working setup?

I think there may be non-obvious dependencies among the packages, so I'm not sure how easy this is going to be in practice...

-p

David