baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 03:42:40 +0000 (UTC)

Using microcom. tset linux at both grex and sdf, I have the same problem with the Enter key. I hit it once and it acts like I hit it twice, in Pine or in Lynx, and also at login. I can't telnet here because if I enter my login and then hit Enter, it acts like two Enter's and the second one is interpreted as my password. If I ssh, I supply the login on the ssh line, then am asked for password, which I give followed by enter and the second enter answers the question about terminal (linux).

This was my origianl problem at grex when I dialed. They seem to have changed something in login so I can enter login, then Enter and it does not produce a second Enter as my password (but when I type password and enter it says 'yes' to terminal vt100). I typed tset linux.

I asked for ideas at my first bbs (grex). Lynx works properly at grex, but at sdf I get double Enter's again.

If I type Pine Enter, it puts me right into Inbox, and another Enter puts me into the last message (it acts like I hit it twice). Windows XP acts the same in Pine. Also at sdf I type 15 Enter and it sends me to link 16 instead. I will try links browser next.
Links works properly, lynx does not. If I type something in our bbs and hit Enter at the end of a line I get an extra line feed. vt100 and vt320 don't work any better (in Pine, where I tested them).

This is BL3.32, but I had this problem with BL3.40 today.

Microcom works with my local bbs! It did not before - maybe the new kernel helps? I did not use a script but entered all commands manually:

That is very interesting. Perhaps there was a small bug in the serial port driver of 2.2.16?

I ssh'ed from grex to sdf.

The Enter key is acting strangely, just like it does in XP. It puts me to the start of the line after the FOLLOWING paragraph, and puts a blank line before it. Is this bad vt100 emulation? Makes it hard to type responses to the correct line.

Is this before or after you ssh? There are several things that might be interacting to cause this problem. Can you switch terminal types using export TERM or the like before you use ssh? Can you then switch terminal types in sdf? You should try various terminal settings before giving up on microcom as broken (it could simply not be passing the terminal type to grex or sdf correctly).

Does the Enter key behave normally at a shell prompt? You may
be able to tweak your editor to work around this.

Microcom is not perfect but it is handy having it in BL3.4, which I hope
to soon see in 2-floppy version.

I like it better than minicom... I can't even figure out how minicom
works. And it is much smaller than either minicom or kermit.

David