baslinux - [BL] Swap file etc

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Swap file etc
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:20:00 -0500

Swap file etc problem

Hi, may I ask for help with this? I have BL 3.40 installed to /dev/hda8,
and after monkeying with Damn Small Linux 2.0, wondered about using "the
same" file or something for swap with the two Linuxes and Windows 98.

It turned out that if there's already a file on /dev/hdb5, I can't seem to
do the dd if=/dev/zero stuff to it more than once, because soon am
told there's no room on the partition, despite my having said rm -fr *

And the file swapfile shows up as zero bytes.

So in "desperation", I reformatted it, like below. That allows the dd to
work, but there's a puzzling thing: how can there be a swap file if it's
not mounted?

Is there by any chance a "mkdosfs" I could use?

All comments and advice are welcomed.

Thanks,
Sheldon

==============

(from df)
Filesystem Size Used Available
Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda8 98.7M 69.0M 24.6M 74% /
/dev/hda1 900.3M 465.9M 434.4M 52% /hd/cee

(from free)
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 258176 81344 176832 620 70392
Swap: 61432 0 61432
Total: 319608 81344 238264

(I think this is /proc/swaps)
Filename Type Size Used
Priority
/mnt/swapfile file 61432 0 -1

(part of /etc/rc)
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
cd /
mke2fs /dev/hdb5
mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/
rm -fr /mnt/*
swpf=/mnt/swapfile
dd if=/dev/zero of="$swpf" bs=1M count=60
mkswap -v1 "$swpf"
sync
swapon "$swpf" 2>/dev/null
##