baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:26:06 -0800

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Kunle 'bona wrote:
> >
> > Did you compile all possible modules
>
> I compiled all the ones I could see, but it's possible
> that I missed one (or even a whole category).

Wireless network cards may require modules that do not
come with the Linux source code. YMMV.

> > To compile, would we use the 2.2.16 kernel and linuxinc kernel headers?
>
> To compile modules, you need the full kernel source.

Just to clarify, to build modules for the BL3.40 kernel, which
version of full kernel source do we need to use? 2.2.16 or
2.2.26?

> To compile programs, you just need the headers (and libc5).
> The 2.2.16 headers should work fine for any BL3.

What about compiling something like Busybox or modutils?
Are specific headers needed for kernel-specific programs?

> > what are the benefits of 2.2.26 over 2.2.16
>
> 2.2.26 is more mature. A few bugs and security issues have
> been eliminated, and many useful modules have been added.

I could not compile 2.0.40 with gcc 2.95.3. And I read that
Xvesa does not work with linux 2.0, anyway. So 2.2.26 is
probably the most stable (and therefore best) kernel to use
with BL.

David