baslinux - Re: [BL] Swap file etc

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Swap file etc
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:23:46 -0800

Sheldon Isaac wrote:
> Swap file etc problem
>
> Hi, may I ask for help with this? I have BL 3.40 installed to /dev/hda8,
> and after monkeying with Damn Small Linux 2.0, wondered about using "the
> same" file or something for swap with the two Linuxes and Windows 98.

There should be no problem, if a swapfile already exists then just
add two or three lines to /etc/rc:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
mkswap /mnt/swapfile
swapon /mnt/swapfile

AFAIK you do not need to zero the swapfile first with dd; you can
just use mkswap before swapon. Also AFAIK Windows does not
care what is in the swapfile as long as it is the right size and it
is writable.

David