baslinux - Re: [BL] Swap file etc

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Swap file etc
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:08:14 +1300

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> It turned out that if there's already a file on /dev/hdb5,
> I can't seem to do the dd if=/dev/zero stuff to it

The dd is not needed.

> how can there be a swap file if it's not mounted?

Swap partitions are not mounted. If you are using a swap file
(instead of a swap partition), the partition on which the swap
file resides needs to be mounted before the swap file can be used.

> Is there by any chance a "mkdosfs" I could use?

mke2fs and mkdosfs are not used for swap files/partitions.
mkswap is used for swap files/partitions.

> Mem: 258176
> Swap: 61432
> Total: 319608

Forget about swap with BasicLinux. 256mb RAM is plenty.
If you had 8mb RAM or 16mb RAM, swap would be very useful.
But with 256mb, it is doing you no good at all.