baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.40
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:12:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Stephen Clement wrote:

Will this include a Changelog?

3.40
kernel upgraded to 2.2.26
busybox upgraded to 1.01
PCMCIA IDE and CF-card capability added
new add-on modules (eg wireless)
PLIP removed (still available as add-on)

I just installed it to c:\baslin (I had 3.32 in d: already).

startx 15 bit color 800 works fine with Matrox Millenium PCI.

My 84-key keyboard works badly with X - not only don't arrow keys and delete work, Enter won't even work in MagicPoint (for 'next page').

Links works, with a mouse (offline anyway).

Pppsetup works.

Microcom works with my local bbs! It did not before - maybe the new kernel helps? I did not use a script but entered all commands manually:

microcom -D/dev/tty1

tilde (I can't type it here because I am using microcom and it gives me the help screen)

-p to set 115200

-t for terminal screen, where I can enter at commands

at&f1 (usr sportster hardware flow control, which I can also set with -h)

ath1 (to get a dial tone) - ath0 should hang up the line (go onhook)

atdt4840512 (dial my local bbs, grex)

I get a login and password prompt. I DON'T get the usual line
asking my terminal type, which I had to enter with tset as linux.

I ssh'ed from grex to sdf.

The Enter key is acting strangely, just like it does in XP. It puts me to the start of the line after the FOLLOWING paragraph, and puts a blank line before it. Is this bad vt100 emulation? Makes it hard to type responses to the correct line.

Microcom is not perfect but it is handy having it in BL3.4, which I hope to soon see in 2-floppy version.

I was going to try pppd but the number is busy during lunch hour.

Is there some way to fix microcom to Enter properly? I would like to set up a neighbor with BL3.40 and local shell account
on her 486 DOS computer. I can add Kermit if neces sary.

Ctrl-J in pine (ssh'ed) is not working right either. It adds a space at the cursor instead of justifying text. See above paragraph.