baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 04:16:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I was able to compile netpbm but all the programs segfault.

The programs that I compiled all produced only Segmentation fault, and ldd
reveals that they need ld-linux 2, libm 6, libc 6 and also libc 5.

David's libc5 version does not require ld-linux,

Really?? IIRC the libc5 ldd does not display ld-linux even if the target
program depends on ld-linux.

I used BL2 ldd to check both your netpbm programs and mine.
For mine, ldd lists ld-linux, for yours, it does not.

and his programs are about three times the size of mine. Did David
compile statically for ld-linux?

No, I don't think that is even possible without doing a fully static
compile. What probably happened was that I built statically against
libnetpbm and possibly libpng, libz, etc.

I built shared against libpng, libz, and libnetpbm. ldd - libm 6 libc 6 libc 6 libnetpbm ldlinux 2

You seem to have built shared against libnetpbm because ldd lists it.
ldd - libm5 libc5 libnetpbm

I tried renaming libc.so.5 to libc.so.5.bak and ldd said the programs
still required it, but could not find it. I removed the 'bak' again.

Your compiling system is somewhat broken. Did you install libc5
development libraries? Try renaming anything that is named .so.5
also.

I probably installed the whole libc5 package from SW71, libc5.tgz
which installed /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1/lib/
with two symlinks to /lib/ld-linux.so.1 and libdl.so.1
and one directory. Should I delete these?

I will look at what is in the .tgz. To run your netpbm do I need
anything other than libc.so.5 and libnetpbm and libtiff (for libc5)?

I have libm.so.5 but ldd does not indicate that it is a dependency, just libc.so.5.

If this fails, you may need to start with a fresh BL2, and carefully
add the glibc2 development packages without libc5.

I can delete all the libc5 stuff if I can find it, since I hope to replace
netpbm with libc6 version and won't need it. (And I can add it again if I do need it). Is there some script I could run to find all the files that have a libc.so.5 dependency?

netpbm does not depend on libc5, the problem is that gcc does
not work well when there are multiple libcs to get in the way.
It seems to have a hard time deciding which libc to use.

The maintainer of netpbm tried to explain this. make CC=gcc5 uses libc5. Is there a way to use just libc6?

David