baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:14:03 +0000 (UTC)

make -k (for --keep-going) produced files dependent on
libc6 libm6 ld-linux2 libnetpbm and some on libjpeg libpng

The tiff programs would not compile against my old libtiff.so because I did not have the header files. I will get the libtiff developer's packages from SW81 if I can't compile libtiff, for which I might need a newer gcc-g++. With luck, nobody will send me any tiffs for a while.

Could I just do a make tiffpnm and make pnmtiff or is there some other way to compile just those two files?

When doing make package, I got an error message that I have no echo.
busybox 1.01 has echo. I put busybox 1.01 on the path on this computer ahead of the previous busybox (which I had updated to BL3 busybox).

Steven, can you include echo in the next BL busybox (which I hope you can compile from 1.01 with uClibc). Thanks.

glibc-2.2.25 bloat:

While tracking down libc.so.5-dependent libraries, I noticed that I have in /usr/lib about 70MB of libraries which I think are used only for static compiling.

Can I safely delete at least anything in _p.a, such as a 25MB libc_p.a files? The newer libraries no longer come in these pairs, just plain .a
(p = panel?)

There is also a 25MB libc.a. If I used this to compile something statically so it could be used on a non-upgraded SW71-based BL2, how much would it add to the result? Should I bother trying to do this, or can other list members upgrade to glibc 2.2.5 or 2.3.1 instead?

Then there is a gconv directory with 8MB of things like MACINTOSH.so GEORGIAN_ACADEMY.so qand libJIS.so and EBCDIC_PT.so. Do I need anything in here other than gconv-modules, ISO8859-*.so, and IBM*.so, EBCDIC_US.so? BL3 does not even have this directory - what does it convert? A web search suggests it does something with locale (the contents of which I deleted since I read English).

Do I need any of these to display other character sets with loadfont? They came with the 25MB glibc-2.2.5 (along with most of the 70MB of files in .a and _p.a) and may be used with iconv (which converts between character sets).

I will keep the 4MB /usr/include and files it put into /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

I deleted most of terminfo, based on BL3, and all of zoneinfo.

I will repackage my libc5 netpbm to be just for BL3, and package libc6 netpbm for BL2 (or upgraded BL3?) after I get the tiff header files and compile tifftopnm. Should I add any programs to what I selected for libc5?