baslinux - [BL] Printing with lpr and printcap with a choice of printers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Printing with lpr and printcap with a choice of printers
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 03:41:32 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printcap

(Should I also stick it into a list mail?)

Here is my printcap that lets me choose various printer device drivers, along with instructions on how to print with lpr and ghostscript.

The default printer is 'lp' (first one).
lpr filename.pdf uses the default.
lpr -Pepson filename.pdf uses epson.

I think you need a complete separate section in printcap for each printer but maybe there is a shorter way.

Testing working, as su user, from within xpdf, printing one page of a longer pdf file with deskjet, deskjetd, ljet4d, cdj550d, cdjcolord.
Use the color drivers only for color printing, they are slow in mono mode.

Should lpr also work to print images and html pages from within a graphical browser such as opera or links2 and if so how?

Comments welcome.

  • [BL] Printing with lpr and printcap with a choice of printers, sindi keesan, 01/05/2006