baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:35:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I was able to compile netpbm but all the programs segfault.

The programs that I compiled all produced only Segmentation fault, and ldd
reveals that they need ld-linux 2, libm 6, libc 6 and also libc 5.

David's libc5 version does not require ld-linux,

Really?? IIRC the libc5 ldd does not display ld-linux even if the target
program depends on ld-linux.

I used BL2 ldd to check both your netpbm programs and mine.
For mine, ldd lists ld-linux, for yours, it does not.

ldd libc.so.5 - statically compiled, does not need ld-linux, which I probably did not need to even include in my netpbmt-for-bl2 package.
ls -l libc.so.5 580K

ldd libc.so.6 - needs ld-linux.so.2
ls -l libc.so.6 1.2MB (This is the Slackware 8.1 glibc 2.2.5)

No wonder BL3 switched back to libc5.

and his programs are about three times the size of mine. Did David
compile statically for ld-linux?
ld-linux is included in the static libc5, but not in libc6

I tried renaming libc.so.5 to libc.so.5.bak and ldd said the programs
still required it, but could not find it. I removed the 'bak' again.

Your compiling system is somewhat broken. Did you install libc5
development libraries? Try renaming anything that is named .so.5
also.

I probably installed the whole libc5 package from SW71, libc5.tgz
which installed /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1/lib/
with two symlinks to /lib/ld-linux.so.1 and libdl.so.1
and one directory. Should I delete these?

The above directory came with SW71 egcs and binutils. I deleted them both, and gmake, since I now have SW81 gcc, binutils, and make. That did not fix the problem.

I will look at what is in the .tgz. To run your netpbm do I need
anything other than libc.so.5 and libnetpbm and libtiff (for libc5)?

I have libm.so.5 but ldd does not indicate that it is a dependency, just
libc.so.5.
I fixed the problem by looking in my netpbm packages and renaming
/lib/libc.so.5 and libm.so.5 and ld-linux.so.1 (and the files underlying these symlinks) and
/usr/local/lib/libnetpm* (I had also put it in /lib for no good reason)
/usr/local/lib/libtiff*
The libpng file for libc5 had already been overwritten by the libc6 one.

make -k (for --keep-going) produced files dependent on
libc6 libm6 ld-linux2 libnetpbm and some on libjpeg libpng