baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:24:20 -0800

On 12/10/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> I will include a script to make it for you, since the device is useless
> >> without the symlink to /dev/mouse.
> >
> > (from David Moberg)
> >
> > Your script that you posted earlier, where [ ] is my comments not to
> > include in the script:
> >
> > insmod usbcore
> > insmod usb-uhci [or ohci]
> > insmod hid [these are now loaded at boot time]
> > insmod usbmouse [is this already loaded at boot time?]

usbmouse is not needed if hid is inserted.

> > insmod mousedev [from your modules directory]
> > mkdir /dev/input
> > mknod c 13 32 /dev/input/mouse0
> > [I think it has to be mknod /dev/input/mouse0 c 13 32, reverse order]

Yes.

> > ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse
> >
> > save as mouse-on (on a second floppy, containing modules)
> > chmod +x mouse-on.
>
> A Mac and a
> Microsoft usb mouse were recognized at boot time. I did allof the above
> and also edited libvga.config
> mdev /dev/input/mouse0
>
> I tried mouse Microsoft, PS2, Logitech (that is what the Mac mouse said it
> was), IMPS2, and no mouse cursor appeared.
>
> Do I also need usbmouse.o?

No.

I just tried this and it worked:

insmod mousedev
mkdir /dev/input
mknod /dev/input/mouse0 c 13 32
ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse
edit /etc/vga/libvga.config (I changed mouse to IMPS2, since I have a
wheel mouse)
zgv -M

> A USB printer (once it was turned on) was recognized as usblp0 I made a
> /dev/usblp0 (guessed at the major and minor numbers)

Character, major 180, minor 0.

> and insmoded printer.o and lp.o - lp could not find any devices.

lp is for parallel printers only.

> I could not cat a
> text file to /dev/usblp0 - said there was no such device.
>
> Where did I go wrong?

Check the major/minor number.

David