baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 03:11:33 +0000 (UTC)

I suggest shortening libvga.config to only a few lines.

I will consider this.

For zgv -M, include '#mouse microsoft'

Is that a PS/2 mouse? The manpage was not very clear.

mouse microsoft is serial
mouse PS2 is ps/2
I have used both.

and 'mouse PS2' (unless your kernel supports other mice),

You can insmod serial (included). IMPS2 might be useful...

Do you need to insmod serial to use a serial mouse?
(Does serial need some other module inserted first?)

and change mouse_accel_type power to mouse_accel_type off (because some mice
act really screwy with power).

OK. That section can definitely be trimmed down.

I doubt any USB computers have plain VGA video,

I doubt that any 586+ PCs do not have a VGA-compatible card.

I will try the Matrox card as plain VGA and report back soon.

so I suggest omitting that
long list of chipsets and using:
chipset VESA
(improves resolution for Trident, Tseng, SiS and Virge, but messes up some
other video chips, so maybe remark it out.)

It would only take a few bytes if I listed the other chipsets in
space-delimited form. And I can only access VESA modes with
chipset VESA.

Okay.

#chipset VGA (I hope this will work with ATI cards, which
require special modelines).

Works with this ATI card. Special modelines?? I have not encountered
any of that.
There is a file explaining how to change the modelines. I have not tried this yet. ATI Mach32 and 64 need different modelines, says the README.

You could put in a few lines explaining what might need to be edited, in
this file and maybe in a readme of some sort somewhere else, with
additional instructions on mounting /dev/sda1 and /dev/hda1 etc.

And maybe some additional scripts/aliases for mounting.

You can leave out the rest. Save 16K

The 16K is uncompressed.
But it is unnecessary and makes it harder to find the essential parts.

and put back 'more'.

How about 'less' instead?
More or less.

I notice you have three types of ppp*.o module, but not slhc.

Oops.

What do we do with the ppp's?

Nothing yet. I should remove them until I actually build a pppd
that will work with them.

That would be nice - and an eznet?

I will take one of these disks to test with mice, keyboards, webcams and
printers on Thursday.

webcams will not work. Sorry. Maybe next release.
I tried with mouse today and don't know how to make it work.

What is mdev?

It specifies where your mouse is. I have an example line in
the libvga.config.

Do you want to ln -s psaux mouse as a default?

Maybe. Or set mdev in libvga.config.

And set PS2 as default in the .config file?

OK.

Are more computers using PS/2 than serial mice now?

I believe so. Laptops are mostly PS/2 for internal mice, aren't they?

I only use serial mice if I can't get a PS/2 header to work, which sometimes does happen. One of our boards keeps losing its PS/2 mouse (in Win98). Our 486 and later laptops are PS/2.

printer.o + standard USB hci and usbcore
This 1-floppy kernel plus printer.o?

Yes.

First you need to mknod /dev/usblp0 or /dev/usb/lp0
Thanks. Should you include that in /dev, next edition?

No, you will want a big distribution for printing.

So is printer.o useful only for detecting the printer's existence, or what do we do with it?

I have not seen a USB printer that will print plain text. Usually you
need to get gs and set that up to actually print anything. You might
need something else too, depending on the printer model. Some
printers might print PS or PCL.

So you can't use the single-floppy linux to test most usb printers?

Right. You might be able to use ghostscript to convert some files to
printer language, and then bring them along with you somehow (did
you notice parport, ppa, and imm.o?)
Yes, for parport zip drives on machines that also have usb.

I need to research usb printer language, don't speak a word of it yet.

usb-serial?

I included the generic module. It should work with most devices
after you mknod. If it fails to insert, you can use the vendor= and
product= options to specify the USB device ID of the device that
you are trying to use.

Do you do this at boot time?

No, only at insmod time.

Is this for usb modems?

No. They need acm.o.

So what uses usb-serial?

Yes.

echo "chipset VGA" >libvga.config
echo "mouse PS2" >>libvga.config
echo "HorizSync 40 70" >>libvga.config

etc.

These lines get added at the end?

Yes. One '>' erases whatever is in libvga.config first.
Two '>' will append to the end of the file.

Press 'Z' while you are viewing an image to make it the same size as your
screen. I need to add a manual for zgv...

Z appears to toggle the resolution.

It appears to toggle the zoom level for me.

Is this not the same thing?

After using e3pi to edit libvga.config, press ] to increase resolution.
zgv -z (zoom) shows everything screen-size.

Once you add a mouse, you can right-click and get a menu.

David

zgv -h produces several pages of help screen, including -M.

I will test the matrox as chipset VGA.