baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 03:44:58 +0000 (UTC)

To use a mouse David wrote:

insmod usbcore
insmod usb-uhci [or ohci]
insmod hid [these are now loaded at boot time]
insmod usbmouse [is this already loaded at boot time?]

usbmouse is not needed if hid is inserted.

insmod mousedev [from your modules directory]
mkdir /dev/input

mknod /dev/input/mouse0 c 13 32
ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse

WHy does the Linux USB HOWTO say to use module mouse.o (instead of hid.o and mousedev.o, or else usbmouse.o) and mknod /dev/usbmouse0 c 180 16 (similar to /dev/usblp0 c 180 13).

Are there three different USB mouse driver modules? Did you choose the combination that takes up the least space on hard drive, or in RAM?

Mousedev.o is only 7326 bytes, and printer.o 12272 bytes. I need to add them to the 1440.im, in initrd.gz (I think).

The 1440.img seems to be 1416 bytes, which I think leaves 41K free to add the two modules and make /dev/usblp0 and /dev/input/mouse0, ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse, and edit libvga.config to chipset VESA and mouse PS2). And add to rc mousedev (after keybdev).

I mounted (loop) 1440.img on /mnt, then tried to gunzip the contained initrd.gz, but was told 'no space left on device' (/mnt is the device). So I copied initrd.gz to /tmp and unzipped it there and mounted it to /hd and am looking in /modules right now.

scsi_mod.o 83912 bytes
sd_mod.o 15326

Useful for booting from scsi drive, and together with parport.o, parport_pc.o, and ppa.o or imm.o, for copying photos to zip drive and testing SCSI zip drive, and also maybe for testing USB CD-ROM drives (with sr_mod.o - about 22411 bytes) and USB scanners (sg.o -size?). Does the kernel support these last two?

These other modules can be inserted from a second floppy disk with insmod, only when needed.

I just (made a 1-floppy 2.4.31 disk with mousedev.o (automatically inserted in rc) and printer.o (in /modules) and the relevant devices, and suitably modified /etc/vga/libvga.config (for default older monitor but chipset VESA and PS2 mouse). I did not shorten libvga.config. I left mouse power normal, hoping USB mice can all handle this.

To do this, I renamed 1440.img to 1440-old.img after mounting it to /mnt. Copied initrd.gz from /mnt to /tmp and loop-mounted it to /hd, where I modified it then gzipped it and used it to replace the original initrd.gz in /mnt and umounted /mnt to give a new 1440.img with new md5sum. (It was not this straightforward but I got it eventually).

New initrd.gz without the extra modules 915947, old initrd.gz is 916709 without two new modules. With the modules, the new one is 921666 bytes.

It booted and got as far as 'registered USB mass storage'. After the line about keybdev.o is one about mousedev.o and, mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice Nothing about having found any usb devices, since there are none.

zgv -M (VESA) works but with no mouse cursor, of course.
"Failed to initialize mouse".

If I add to /etc/vga/libvga.config the line mdev /dev/psaux I get a usable PS/2 mouse. I could make a little script 'PS2' which would echo this line to libvga.config. I have /dev/mouse symlinked to /dev/input/mouse0, so mdev overrides this.

insmod printer:
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver

Is printer.o the usb equivalent of lp.o, and
usbcore and usb-uhci (or ohci) the equivalent of parport.o and parport_pc.o?

df: 50% used of 3963 blocks. Lots of room in ram to add scsi modules.
fd - 1422 K. Room for more modules.

Why, when I try again to mount -o loop 1440.img (loop is still inserted) mount: could not find any free loop device
Nothing is currently mounted with loop but I can't rmmod it: loop: Device or resource busy. 'mount' says only my hard drive is mounted.
lsmod says loop is used by 5 - what is 5? ps - PID 5 is [kswapd].

I will test this tomorrow on a USB mouse and printer and then post the image file.

What does the ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 do in /etc/rc? Wikipedia says a loopback address is used to test IP software. You said you added it, why?
Is it related to networking and X?

I notice that 'uname' in busybox, for BL2, prints
Linux Basiclinux 2.2.16
but for your version prints
Linux (none) 2.4.31 - do you want to give it a name and if so how?

Why did you include busybox usleep? (not found in BLs). Is this helpful in writing scripts for things like plip and sound, where you need to wait between lines? If so, should the next BL include it too?